- The first step is to make the commitment to yourself. You have to want to improve your own health and wellbeing. Its all well and good other people encouraging you, but if you don’t want to do it then the battle is already over. Everyone has there own personal reason for wanting to begin their fitness journey whether its to improve health, assist in activities of daily living, an up and coming sporting event, the list goes on. The decision must be yours.
- Begin by setting yourself three achievable goals. Be realistic, understand your capabilities and be willing to accept them. Setting the bar too high from the beginning is a recipe for failure. You want to see yourself achieving not failing. It’s a very common mistake to set the bar too high from the beginning only to disappoint oneself.
- Create a plan. If we fail to plan we plan to fail. Just sitting down and writing out what we are going to do is a great place to start. It makes us feel productive and can raise excitement and anticipation levels.
- Action those plans and do what you said you would. It may have been to go for a walk a couple of times a week, joining a local gym or group fitness session, parking the car a bit further away from work and walking the rest of the way, or simply eating healthier. Everyone has to start somewhere.
- Results don’t happen overnight. You need to be in it for the long run. Physical changes typically start four to six weeks into training, but psychological changes can happen instantly.
- Stay committed. This can be hard with the pressure of everyday living; it’s very easy to let your fitness journey take a back seat. Thoughts like ‘I don’t have time’, or the simplicity of fast food are all speed bumps to a healthier fitter lifestyle. Drive over them. Don’t get stuck. The rewards at the end are worth it.
- The Pareto principle, also known as the 80/20 rule, applies and exercise only accounts for 20 percent of the results. The other 80 percent is our diet. You might train for 30–45min three times a week, but you will also eat at least 21 meals and probably some snacks too. Remember that what you put in (as a combination of food choices and exercise effort) will be what you get out. Healthier eating habits will result in a healthier lifestyle and greater physical improvements.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people. Positive attitudes and similar goals can keep you motivated.
- When seeking professional help, find a trainer that suits your fitness needs, make sure your trainer is qualified and insured, and don’t be afraid to ask for their qualifications. The majority of trainers will be happy to show you.
- Finally, and importantly, make sure you have fun.
This advertising feature was sponsored by the following businesses:
Blue Eagle Muay Thai and Fitness Katherine – facebook
Mind over matter Fitness Katherine – facebook